“Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections every few years, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in.”
– Author Unknown
The Catholic Centre for Immigrants depends on the contributions of generous, skilled and committed volunteers. It is only with volunteers that we can ensure every newcomer to our city is provided with the opportunity to reach his/her full potential in Canadian society. It is only with volunteers that we can build a more welcoming community for all.
At CCI Ottawa, volunteers and newcomers often form deep bonds. They become extended members of each other’s families.
We offer a wide range of opportunities designed to be meaningful for the volunteer and to enhance our services for newcomers. We have a variety of meaningful opportunities for volunteers to help with newcomers. For example, volunteers help newcomers learn a language, find the best places to shop, learn how to use public transit, help build their resumes, teach them to skate and so much more. Volunteers help newcomers adjust to daily life in Ottawa. They are a friendly face in a city of strangers.
If you want to explore how you can volunteer and help a newcomer today, please contact Bryn Johnson, our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator. Please email him at email@example.com
Below are some current volunteer opportunities
We are looking for:
- Youth volunteers under 30 years of age
- Available evenings and weekends
- Ability to facilitate workshops and group sessions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in other languages is a strong asset
- Ability to perform duties independently or with minimal supervision
- Ability to function in a multidisciplinary, culturally diverse workplace
- Proficiency with all social media platforms, computer applications, including but not limited to Windows and Microsoft Office Suite
- Available for a full school semester as many of our programs run concurrent with the school schedule
If you have these skills and you’re interested in a volunteer opportunity, please fill out and submit the form below.
The Matching Program provides one-on-one support to help newcomers adjust and integrate into life in Canada by introducing recent refugees and immigrants to established members of the Ottawa community. As a Matching Program volunteer, you will help newcomers learn about Canadian culture and traditions, community resources, recreational opportunities and social/job networks. The program also provides newcomers an opportunity to practise their English.
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Patient, friendly and open-minded
- Familiar with Canadian culture and values
- Able to commit to four hours a week for six months
- Fluent in English (Other languages might be an asset)
- Have a solid knowledge of life in Ottawa
If you are interested in volunteering with the Matching Program, please fill out and submit the form below.