Maison Sophia Reception House
Established in November 1988, Maison Sophia Reception House (formerly Maison Thérèse Dallaire) is a temporary, by referral only, residential facility for government assisted refugees (GARs) and refugee claimants.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- to be an integral part of the settlement services in the community
- to be responsive to the needs of the clients
- to encourage multi-agency support
PROVIDING SUPPORT FOR NEWCOMERS
By providing for the basic needs of newcomers in their flight from starvation, war, violence or political turmoil and by creating an educational and supportive environment, the Centre dramatically cuts the time needed by newcomers to become settled and self-sufficient in their new community.
Staffed around the clock, with twenty-four rooms that accommodate a maximum of 96 people, the Centre provides complete food services, common lounge areas and laundry facilities, as well as a warm and friendly environment where newcomers can feel safe and welcome.
During their stay at the Centre, newcomers are provided with basic food, shelter, and clothing and are given the information and counselling they need to begin their new life in Canada.
Maison Sophia Reception House strives to meet the physical, social and psychological needs of newcomers by providing:
- temporary accommodation for 3-4 weeks
- workshops on life in Canada
- three communal meals a day
- housing search support
- a children’s program
- computer with internet access and Wi-Fi
- referrals to government services and community organizations
- transportation to permanent accommodation
- assistance with settling into a new home
- home visits / life skills support
For more information contact Maison Sophia Reception House:
Tel: (613) 789 4338
Fax: (613) 789 3574